April 26, 2020
To Our Valued Patients:
We are very pleased to let you know that our office will be opening on May 1, 2020 on a limited basis and will start seeing patients.
Brian Kemp, the governor of Georgia, is allowing dentists to provide the full scope of their services without restrictions as long as they adhere to the American Dental Association’s (“ADA”) Interim Guidance for minimizing Risk for COVID-19 Transmission and the ADA’s Interim Mask and Face Shield Guidelines effective May 1, 2020. Since our office meets these guidelines, we will reopen on May 1, 2020 with limited appointments for the first several weeks. This is due in part to limited availability of PPE. We must protect the health of our staff and patients.
This is an unprecedented situation that requires extraordinary measures. We want to assure you, however, that we have always put your safety and the safety of our dental team first. Our practice follows all infection control and prevention guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), other federal and state public health regulations, and the State of Georgia Dental Board regulations.
The things we do every day to make our practice a place for safe dental care include:
- Wear gloves, face masks, protective eyewear and clothing when treating patients
- Provide you with protective eyewear to protect you from splatter
- Perform hand hygiene before and after your treatment
- Thoroughly disinfect our treatment rooms prior to each patient visit
- Test our sterilizer weekly to assure proper functioning
- Treat our dental water unit to ensure that is as safe as drinking water
- Disinfect the reception area surface multiple times during the day
You may see some changes when you come in for your appointment, such as:
- We have removed all reading material from our reception room, since they are difficult to disinfect
- We will ask you to use hand sanitizer and a mask when you enter the office
- We will take your forehead temperature when you arrive
- Please call from your car when you arrive for your appointment so that we may meet you at the door to ensure social distancing guidelines in the reception area. If someone comes with you we ask that they remain in the car or outside unless prior arrangements have been made. This is for everyone’s safety.
- Expect a pre-rinse of diluted Hydrogen Peroxide prior to any procedure that generates aerosol to decrease possible viral load.
- Any restorative procedure will require the use of a device to isolate the area of the mouth we are working on to prevent contaminated aerosols. Most patients are already familiar with this method. Again, this is for everyone’s safety.
We will continue to monitor the status of COVID-19 nationally and within our community and keep our protocols up to date.
Thomas K. Sparkman, DDS