Dr. Sparkman, like most dentists, agrees: prevention is always better than treatment. By actively preventing disease and decay through regular home care, professional dental cleanings and regular exams, you will maintain a healthy, beautiful smile.
In addition, effective prevention can help you avoid costly treatments in the future to remove decay, restore teeth and treat gum disease. Regular prevention is truly your best investment.
Professional Teeth Cleanings
Professional dental cleanings performed by a dentist or hygienist form the foundation for preventing gum disease and tooth decay.
What to expect during a routine teeth cleaning:
- Remove plaque from the teeth – Plaque is a sticky substance that forms in the mouth from food, saliva and bacteria. Plaque sticks to teeth and causes tooth decay and gum disease.
- Remove tarter above the gum line – tarter is plaque that has hardened on the tooth surface and is difficult to remove. Removing tarter buildup is essential in prevention of gum disease
- Polish and remove stains from teeth
Dental examinations help to diagnose issues before they become hazardous to your health. In addition, regular examinations can save you money by alleviating problems while they are small and before they become expensive to repair, or in some cases, impossible to repair.
What to expect from a dental examination:
- Oral cancer screening
- Gum disease evaluation
- Visual examination of tooth decay
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays to see cysts, tumors, invisible decay and other problems that can’t be seen by the naked eye
- Evaluation of status of current restorations (fillings and others)
- Application of Protective Sealants
Schedule a routine teeth cleaning & dental exam today
Remember, preventing disease is always better than treating disease. Call Dr. Sparkman’s office today, to schedule a routine cleaning for you and the whole family at 770-396-8061 or Contact Us Online.